Saturday, June 28, 2008

Where have I been?

I haven't been anywhere! The weeks have slipped by as I, like so many Americans these days, put in long hours to stay afloat. Every time I've sat down to dig up some content, I felt discouraged and annoyed. I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

I always complain about "feeling" global warming in my bones, like, the air just seems different than it did just 10 years ago. But over the past few weeks, there have been fires all around me here in SF and the pink sunlight filtered through the smoke is eerie. In the Midwest there's massive floods and once a week another American community is in peril. And the headline on Yahoo yesterday about the first summer without any arctic ice is just the topper. The main stream news doesn't seem to care, they're living in a NYC bubble, out of tune with the rest of the nation and stuck in an endless loop chatter about hillary and obama, obama and hillary.

Part of the reason for my malaise is the state of the economy. It feels kind of stupid to be absorbed in all the neat stuff we can buy to green our lives, when the future seems bleak. What ever the reason for the instability, falling dollar and recession, I find myself trying to plan for the worst.

Lucky for me, I'm not in massive debt and I have some savings, not much, but some. I have found my econista research flowing into research into gold bullion, gold jewelery and other hedges. I already have my earthquake kit consisting of water, powerbars and a handcrank/solar radio. But what else can I do to prepare for a possible recession, or worse, depression (don't get me started on the parallels between now and the start of the great depression but let's just say - investor speculation, in this case, on oil).

I am finding myself holding my breath, like many people, hoping that this presidential election will have some impact, if only psychological, to save us from the financial abyss that is before us.

My apologies for this depressing post and my negative attitude. But looking for the next cute organic cotton dress isn't very high on my priority list these days.

Hearing from my readers, if I have any, would get me back into sync with the movement, so email me. econista@yahoo.com and let me you you're out there.

No comments: