Friday, May 30, 2008

Target, green-washing or a good start?



A Target advertisement caught my eye on TV last night. Their ads are always well done, but this time, they said the cloths were eco-friendly. I sat up and logged on to see what was going on at Target. The collection they were talking about was "Go International: Rogan Gregory". The photos of the rather cool safari clothes are set in front of solar panels and grassy fields. I was excited and started "doing research" (or shopping). But, i didn't find a lot of organic cotton pieces, as it turns out, about 1/3 of the collection is organic cotton, the rest is silk, linen and then some poly. It's eco-chic to a point and in my opinion, it's a good start.


Who is Rogan Gregory? He's the designer behind Loomstate and Edun and recently open a boutique in NYC, Rogan, featuring his collection of modern street wear that reflects his fresh aesthetic. I'm looking forward to receiving my Target purchase which, in the end, reflects the makeup of the collection - one sustainable piece (the T below), one not. Oh well, like I said, it's a good start.

No comments: