Thursday, July 17, 2008

Who Loves Elroy?



I do! Just a few weeks ago, I was feeling like there wasn't much going on in the sustainable fashion world. But after digging a little deeper I stumbled across a vein that led to a perfect nugget of gold: designer Leanne McElroy's collection Elroy. Why didn't I know about it sooner?

Based in Vancouver BC, Elroy is a fully sustainable collection using bamboo and organic cotton fabrics. "I found there was this missing niche…that just wasn't available out there. There was yoga wear and the elastic pants and elastic tank tops. It just wasn't stuff I was looking for." Says McElroy. "I'm really drawn to Asian minimalism and the style of the '40s and '50s. I have a couple of jackets that are definitely inspired by an Audrey Hepburn–type look. I try to make structured and tailored pieces that really fit a woman's body."

These influences are very apparent in the spring collection of well tailored and meticulously detailed designs. McElroy understands the woman she's dressing - the Audrey Hepburn of today, a true econista who's elegance is beyond fashionable, it's responsible. I'm sure Elroy's fall 2008 collection will be fabulous, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this nugget and pass it on.

No comments: