Friday, May 18, 2007

I stopped using Bare Minerals



This spring 3 friends of mine were diagnosed with cancer. They’re all women, mid thirties to early forties. The news of these illnesses all came within a month and it felt like the sky was falling. I started blaming everything, cleansers, carpeting with it’s fire retardants.. everything.

About a month ago, I noticed that I had started feeling tight in my chest, like asthma or something. I had written it off as spring time allergies or the cat’s dander, but considering the issues my friends were facing, I thought I’d pay more attention and focus on when I felt the sensation the most. After a couple of weeks, I was able to link the feeling to when I wear my foundation.

For two years, I’ve been wearing Bare Minerals, “all natural” loose powder foundation and I have been very pleased with how I look and how my skin has responded… that is until now. I started holding my breath when I apply it and it definitely reduced the feeling in my lungs. So I’ve stopped wearing it and now I’m on the hunt for a new foundation (I have acne so I need coverage and it’ can’t make it worse).

I did a bit of research and found some articles about Titanium Dioxide, when inhaled in mineral and other powder based makeups it damages lung tissue and puts the user at risk of lung cancer. Yikes! I hope I’m OK. The first ingredient of Bare Minerals is Titanium Dioxide and I find it hard to believe that they aren’t aware of this research. But when used in a cream form Titanium Dioxide is not dangerous because it is a naturally occurring mineral, it’s only when it’s inhaled that it becomes a cancer risk (which makes sense since my sensitive skin didn’t have problems with it, it was my lugs breathing it in!).


I’m trying a few all natural alternatives and I’ll post results as I draw my conclusions. Dr.Hauschka products and Logona are both German and are BDIH certified all natural. Europe has strict rules about what can be called “all natural” while the US allows loose interpretations of this labeling (more posts on the rules will come). Meanwhile Lavera products, also BDIH certified, are also vegan and organic. Neither use any of the preservatives and petroleum based ingredients that have been linked to cancer and can be found in most mainstream beauty products.

2 comments:

Belushi said...

OMG!!! I've been using Bare Minerals powder foundation for a couple of years, and I've also been happy with it. I've noticed an increase in my asthma symptoms over the last several months, and today I really had a surprise! I had my house cleaned, and the cleaners couldn't believe the amount of makeup they found on every surface of the bathroom!! It was thick on top of my medicine cabinet (3 ft. above my head!), coated the lampshades, and has discolored the white paint in the room! Mind you, I don't fling the stuff around when I apply it... I follow the directions strictly. I contacted the manufacturer, and they said they're not aware of any health risk and I should follow the directions better. I guess I'll have to stop using it, too.

Organicology said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog - just started to have a look and I love all your content. I recently met a woman who had to stop using Bare Minerals due to the high levels of heavy metals. My favorite cosmetic line is found at www.organicology.com. Awesome products that are USDA Certified Organic to food grade standards - no need to worry about parabens, pthalates, 1,4 dioxane, titanium dioxide, etc, etc., etc. They are definitely worth a look - everything comes with a 15 day return as well. Good luck! Stay healthy!