Thursday, May 10, 2007

Wildlife Works



Ok, does this organization do anything objectionable? Are they hiring? Wildlife Works is a S.F. based company that's approach is "Consumer Powered Conservationsm". Their consumer brand stands for wildlife conservation by promising that their proceeds go to saving endangered wildlife around the world, promoting fair trade and creating jobs.

When you buy something from Wildlife Works, you are helping them create sanctuaries like the one they made in Kenya, Africa. An 80,000-acre Rukinga Wildlife Sanctuary, where elephants, cheetahs and 45 other large mammal species now roam freely. To go even further, Wildlife Works built an eco-friendly factory nearby where they employ members of the community to create some of their products.

Many of their products are made from organic materials because they are committed to keeping drinking holes clean for all species. They use recycled materials, run their operations under fair trade rules and donate proceeds to causes. Wow!

Thinking like an Econista:
I've been wondering for a long time about the true value of a dollar. Because to us in the US, a dollar isn't worth much, but elsewhere, it's worth a whole day's earnings. So what is it's true value? I guess Einstein knew the answer: it's relative... sort of. If I buy a shirt from a company like Wildlife Works, they can use that money to do so much... as if the one dollar is worth ten dollars. But then, if I spend the same amount with a mainstream brand, it just gets absorbed into a bank account somewhere. Why can't they do something meaningful with it?

I think the answer is that the dollar is worth what you want it to be worth. Wildlife Works wants to use the dollar to benefit a lot of causes, conservation, organic farming, recycling and fair trade. This is their intent, so the dollar works toward making their intent into reality. If a company's intent is to make a profit or wealth, well then, the dollar will work toward making that a reality. With this in mind I, as a consumer, intend for my dollar to be worth more than a cup of coffee, I want it to support families, animals and land. I want my dollar to effect the future as we know it, not the future of a few individuals. So, to make this intention a reality, I need to ask where the money is going, how is it working for my values and a company like Wildlife Works is right in line with what I care about...plus their cloths are cute!

No comments: